Head of Department
Mr J Evason
Learners have 1 x 50 minute lesson each week in Year 7. Group sizes range from 22 to 34.
Key Concepts (The big ideas underpinning the subject)
- Understand how to stay safe online/ Understand how spreadsheets are used and the importance of data handling, using databases and SQL.
- Understand algorithms and how to create programs/ Understand Binary/Hexidecimal number systems and coding/ Understand coding behind software.
- Understand the technology hardware/software used everyday/ Understand the history of computer development and technology/ Identify the uses of ICT/Computing in the outside world.
What will you child be learning?
Year 7 pupils will be doing aspects of Functional ICT, Digital Literacy and Computational Thinking throughout the year and start by doing an Esafety unit about staying safe online. Then they will complete a spreadsheet unit about being a spy where they will use-function and formulae, sorting and filtering data and represent data graphically. They will do a Databases topic where they will learn how to create and use databases to help solve a crime, write queries and understand logical operators. They will be introduced to programming using the KODU and Scratch languages. Where they will create games, repeating patterns and quizzes.
Key 'Learning Capacities' in this subject
Be able to work both independently and collaboratively/ Develop the confidence to ask for help and answer questions in classroom/ Be able to experiment and ‘play’ to discover new ways of working/ inspire students curiosity to learn more about the technological world around them/Persevere with more challenging work/ Apply techniques learned in previous year and other subjects.
How will your child be learning?
- Highly practical lessons
- Think for themselves using reason and logic
- Paired work and Group work
- Individual teacher
- Learner discussion
How will learning be assessed?
- A summative test taken in lesson time at the end of every topic either online or paper based/ One formal exam.
- Formative assessment of homework and classwork/Online assessments.
What can you do to support your child?
- Speak to them about what they have been doing in their lessons/ Help with homework and encourage them to learn.
- Consider downloading Freeware software such as KODU/ Scratch/ Python/ Sploder and Microsoft Office from UVHS website.
Equipment needed for this subject
- Pens, pencils, rubbers, ruler, calculator, earphones, pendrive.
Extra -Curricular / Enrichment Opportunities
- BEBRAS National Computing Challenge
- Code Club at lunchtime
- Robot Club
- Enrichment resources and materials