Head of Department
Miss S Garne
Students have 4 x 50 minute lessons each week . Y7’s stay in their mixed ability tutor groups until the first half term. After the first half term students are taught in broad progress Maths groupings. Grouping is reviewed each term to allow movement between classes.
Key Concepts (The big ideas underpinning the subject)
Students will study Number & Algebra, Geometry & Measure, Handling Data and Mathematical Processes & Applications. Pupils are taught creatively and in a variety of teaching styles to help them broaden their Mathematical knowledge and gain an insight into
What will you child be learning?
- Number - Four operations, negative numbers, fractions, decimals , percentages, ratio and proportion
- Algebra - Sequences, graphs, collecting like terms, simplifying, expanding brackets, factorising, solving equations
- Handling Data - Averages, probability, collecting and representing data in a variety of graphs and charts
- Geometry & Measure - Angles, constructions, Loci, units of measure and transformations
Key 'Learning Capacities' in this subject
- Be able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Confidence to have a go and not be afraid to get things wrong and learn from their mistakes
- Resilience and perseverance and not be afraid to ask for help
- Foster a positive mind set and be a reflective learner
- Foster a positive attitude
How will your child be learning?
- Paired and small group work
- Whole class discussions
- Individual teacher/student discussion
- Investigations and rich functional tasks
How will learning be assessed?
- A test will be conducted at the end of each unit (usually at the end of each half term)
- One formal exam in the summer
- Monitoring of homework and classwork
What can you do to support your child?
- Encourage your child to discuss what they have learnt in their lessons and try to incorporate mathematical dialogue in everyday life
- Support them with their homework and be positive about mathematics
- Consider purchasing the extra resources we offer, Revision Guides, workbooks and CDs
- Encourage them to use MyMaths and Numeracy Passport
Equipment needed for this subject
- Pens, pencils, eraser, pencil sharpener, calculator, ruler, protractor and a pair of compasses
- UKMT individual challenge and UKMT Team challenge
- Working with sixth-form Maths Mentors
- BAE Systems Roadshow
- Barclays Life skills