More in this Section
Y8 Belief Philosophy Ethics
Head of Department
Mr M Peake
Organisation of the subject:
Pupils have 1 x 50minute lesson per week.
Key Concepts (The big ideas underpinning the subject)
- To explore the world of belief and religious life through the study of, and reflection on, stimulating philosophical and ethical issues.
- To be able offer personal responses and informed insights on a range of topical issues.
- To understand the key ideas and thinkers who have shaped the different views of the world.
- To use informed analysis and evaluation of a range of ideas and opinions to form a coherent personal view.
What will your child be learning?
- Chinese religions and philosophy. Confucianism, Taoism and Ch’an Buddhism.
- Hinduism and the formation of Hindu society.
- Moral philosophy and ethics. Utilitarianism and moral absolutes.
Key 'Learning Capacities' in this subject
- To develop enquiring minds.
- To develop critical thinking.
- To develop the ability to respond to a range of philosophical and ethical issues through the development of analytical skills.
- To develop the ability to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of competing arguments and arrive at a justified personal view.
How will your child be learning?
- Paired and group work
- Whole class discussions
- Philosophical enquiry
- Teacher-lead discussions and analysis
- Factual presentations
- Student-lead research
How will learning be assessed?
- Monitoring homework and classwork.
- One assessment per term that assesses key philosophical skills: Knowledge, use of philosophical concepts such as analysis and evaluation, academic structure, critical thinking and how to form a considered personal opinion.
What can you do to support your child?
- Encourage your child to take an active interest in current affairs
- Support homework through research and encourage pupils to look in a variety of places
Equipment needed for this subject
- Pens, pencils, ruler, highlighters, coloured pencils.
- KS3 Debating group
- Religious Studies trip to Manchester