Head of Department
Students have 4 x 50 minute lessons each week . Grouping is reviewed each term to allow movement between classes.
Key Concepts (The big ideas underpinning the subject)
Students will study Number & Algebra, Geometry & Measure, Handling Data and Mathematical Processes & Applications. Pupils are taught creatively and in a variety of teaching styles to help them broaden their Mathematical knowledge and gain an insight into
What will you child be learning?
- Number - Four operations, negative numbers, fractions, decimals , percentages, ratio and proportion
- Algebra - Sequences, graphs, collecting like terms, simplifying, expanding brackets, factorising, solving equations
- Handling Data - Averages, probability, collecting and representing data in a variety of graphs and charts
- Geometry & Measure - Angles, constructions, Loci, units of measure and transformations
Key 'Learning Capacities' in this subject
- Be able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Confidence to have a go and not be afraid to get things wrong and learn from their mistakes
- Resilience and perseverance and not be afraid to ask for help
- Foster a positive mind set and be a reflective learner
- Foster a positive attitude
How will your child be learning?
- Paired and small group work
- Whole class discussions
- Individual teacher/student discussion
- Investigations and rich functional tasks
How will learning be assessed?
- A test will be conducted at the end of each unit (usually at the end of each half term)
- One formal exam in the summer
- Monitoring of homework and classwork
What can you do to support your child?
- Encourage your child to discuss what they have learnt in their lessons and try to incorporate mathematical dialogue in everyday life
- Support them with their homework and be positive about mathematics
- Consider purchasing the extra resources we offer, Revision Guides, workbooks and CDs
- Encourage them to use MyMaths
Equipment needed for this subject
- Pens, pencils, eraser, pencil sharpener, calculator, ruler, protractor and a pair of compasses
- UKMT individual challenge and UKMT Team challenge
- Working with sixth-form Maths Mentors
- BAE Systems Roadshow
- Barclays Life skills