More in this Section
Head of Department
Mr J Bates
Organisation of the subject:
Students have 2 x 50 minute lessons
Key Concepts (The big ideas underpinning the subject)
- Develop the skills of Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing in a second language
- Appreciation and understanding of citizens and cultures around the world
What will your child be learning?
A variety of topics will be covered over the Key Stage. These will include:
- Introducing myself to other people
- Giving basic information about myself: name, age, birthday etc.
- How to form the present, past and future tense
- Expressing likes, dislikes, opinions and reasons on a variety of topics
- Discussing school subjects
- Describing my family and pets
- Describing what people look like
- Describing people’s personalities
- Discussing what I like to do in my free time
- Discussing holiday preferences
- Getting to know the culture of Spanish-speaking countries
Key 'Learning Capacities' in this subject
- Develop communication skills through the study of a second language
- Develop the knowledge and understanding of different cultures around the world
- Enhance the life skills of learners through challenging activities
How will your child be learning?
- Teacher-led activities
- Pair and group work
- On-line vocabulary and grammar learning
- Independent research
How will learning be assessed?
- Each half term students will be tested on two of the four skills
- Homework and classwork will be monitored
What can you do to support your child?
- Talk to them about their learning
- Support them with their homework—test them on their vocabulary
Equipment needed for this subject
- Pens, pencils, ruler and exercise book. A dictionary would also be useful
- Lunchtime language clubs
- National competitions—Spelling Bee