Y10 Sports Studies
Head of Department
Miss A Bird
The Cambridge National Sports Studies course gives pupils the opportunity to apply theoretical knowledge about different types of sport and physical activity, skills development and leadership in their own practical performance.
3 units need to be completed over the two years. Pupils have to take the two mandatory (M) units and one optional unit (O).
They equate to 190 raw marks overall.
Contemporary issues in sport (M) 70 marks
This unit is externally assessed. Pupils will sit a 1 hour 15 minute exam set and marked by OCR
- Understanding the issues which affect participation in sport.
- Know about the role of sport in promoting values.
- Understand the importance of hosting major sporting events.
- Understand the role of national governing bodies.
Performances and leadership in sports activities (M) 80 marks
This unit is externally assessed. UVHS will set assessed practical tasks which will be moderated by OCR.
- Demonstrate skills, techniques and strategies as an individual performer.
- Demonstrate skills, techniques and strategies as a team performer.
- Be able to officiate in a sporting activity.
- Apply practice methods to support improvement in a sporting activity.
One optional unit decided by the school:
The optional unit will be assessed internally and will be assignment/portfolio based.
Sport and the media (O) 40 marks
- Develop an understanding of how the media affects sport, both positively and negatively, through a range of media outlets.
- Look at how technology influences sport.
For more information please see Mr Pierce