Head of Department
Miss N Beardsley
Students have 3 x 50-minute lessons per week
Key Concepts (The big ideas underpinning the subject)
- Develop the skills of listening, reading, writing and speaking in a second language
- Understand and apply phonics, leading to accurate pronunciation
- Develop a broad range of vocabulary to fit a range of contexts
- Understand and apply key grammatical rules
- Develop an understanding and appreciation of the geography, culture and traditions of Spanish-speaking countries
What will your child be learning?
In Year 7, students explore a range of topics and key skills.
Students learn about Growth Mindset and a range of strategies to help them embed new vocabulary into their long-term memory. Key topics include:
- Introducing myself and my family
- Talking about my free time activities
- Giving my opinion on my school subjects
- Exploring the culture of Colombia through a film study of 'Encanto'
Key 'Learning Capacities' in this subject
- Develop communication skills through the study of a second language.
- Develop the knowledge and understanding of different cultures around the world.
- Enhance the life skills of learners through challenging activities.
How will your child be learning?
- Teacher-led activities
- Pair and group work
- On-line vocabulary and grammar learning
- Independent research
How will learning be assessed?
- Each half term students will be tested on two of the four skills
- Homework and classwork will be monitored
What can you do to support your child?
- Talk to them about their learning
- Support them with their homework—test them on their vocabulary
Equipment needed for this subject
- A pen (blue or black), pencil, ruler, rubber, glue stick.
- Coloured pencils, highlighters and a dictionary would also be useful.
- Lunchtime language clubs
- National competitions—Spelling Bee